Having the correct domain name for your website is one of the most important things for your online identity. Your domain name is much more than just an online address. Your domain name is your online identity and online brand. It is important that people remember the name of your website and can easily return back to your site. I highly recommend investing some time to do some research before buying your domain.
In this article, we will discuss some guidelines to choose a domain name which could be beneficial for your website.
Identify what you want to do with your website
It is important to decide what all you are going to do with the website. Creating a website may be the second step, but finalizing what is going to be available on the website should be first. Decide what is going to be there on your website. Is it a personal blog? a business? a technical blog? any niche website? Deciding the content on the website will help you choose the keywords for your website. For example, if you want to create a website for information about schools, now it is easy to decide the name of your website, the name could be like, bestschools.com, schoolsinindia.com, etc.
Use Domain Name Generators to have some good suggestions
Domain name generators will help you generate some good domain names based on the keywords. Using the domain name generators are easy. Just visit any of the domain name generators below and enter the keyword into the search box and it will populate all the best possible domain names for you.
To illustrate this, let us use Domain Wheel to generate domain name. Let’s imagine that you’re starting a website on Schools. Our prime keyword is a schools in this scenario. Entering that term schools into the search bar will return these results:
Select the domain you want to register
Now since you have a bunch of domain names related to your keywords. The next step is to analyze these names. You can analyze the domain names based on the below parameter:
- Check for legalities: Check if the domain you want to book is legally available, Avoid using domain names which already exists with different TLD’s.
- Check for Business Names and Trade Marks: This actually falls under legalities. It is always better to ensure you are not violating trademark and business rules. You cannot and should not take a domain name with someone trademark or business name. To check this you can go to the government site of the country and do a check. For example, if you are in the US you can go to uspto.gov/trademarks, if you are in India go to http://www.ipindia.nic.in/trade-marks.htm
- Shorter is better: Shorter domain names are better, easy to remember and write.
- Easy rememberable: Name should be easily rememberable. Easy to read and easy to pronounce.
- Check Spellings: Check for spellings and ensure you have correct spellings
- Check TLDs: See what TLD is available, It is better to choose from widely used TLD’s such as .com, .org, .net, .info or any other regional TLD’s such as .us, in, .sg, etc.
- Don’t go for a tongue twister: Do not use tongue twister domains, it will increase the chance of mistakes when the user tries to type the domain name.
- Try to create a brand: Try to look for a name around which you can build a brand. Think long term.
- Avoid numbers or hyphens: Try to avoid numbers and hyphens in the domain name unless that is part of your business name.
- Research on Social Media: We all know that social media plays a vital role in promoting the website and website content. So, it’s always a good idea to check social networks for the availability of the same name. To build your brand, it is important to use the same name most of the places at least where ever possible. For example: check the availability on facebook.com/yourdomain, availability on twitter.com/yourdomain – if they are available, secure them as well. to do this quickly you can use some tool like KnowEm.
Hope you will be able to finalize your domain name using the above guidelines. Now, what next? Next is to register your domain. You can register your domain from below renowned and domain registrar. Clicking on the link below will take you to their website, where you can register.
If you are looking to host your website, I would advise selecting the web hosting company first. Most of the Web hosting companies will actually give one domain name FREE, yes you read it right, they offer a FREE domain with their hosting packages for at least one year. Check some of the renowned and trustworthy Webhosting companies below:
That’s it Folks on this topic. Let us know your comments on this article in the comment box below. Kindly like our facebook page, follows us on twitter and subscribe to our YouTube channel for latest updates.