SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer. Use of SSL encryption on websites prevents hackers from stealing the information that is being transferred from the browser of the user to the server and vise Versa. The information includes details like email, phone number, username, password, etc. In this article, we will see what is SSL, what are benefits of using SSL, what are types of SSL, and how can you buy SSL certificate for your domain.
Today, most people use the internet to read or to find something on the internet. On doing this sometimes we share our personal details like email address, phone numbers, credit card information, etc. This information that we provide on the website gets transferred from user to server, so it is important that this information transmitted securely, SSL certificates help in that. Nowadays people use the online medium to purchase the goods, for this, we have to share our financial detail, credit card, debit card number, a password which needs to be transmitted securely. You might have also heard about the hackers and cybercrime, imagine if this information goes in the wrong hand what can happen.
The important thing is people do not take it seriously they easily trust on the website and share their information. To overcome this problem we need a secure connection which can keep our information and data secure, otherwise, it can be stolen. SSL is one of the important steps in ensuring the data gets transferred securely.
How to identify if a website is using SSL
Website using SSL will have HTTPS in their URL. If you see the URL with https it means they are using an SSL certificate and information provided on those websites are transferred securely.
In the above image, we can see 2 things that ensure that the website is using SSL.
- Lock: There will be a lock in the browser, depending on the browser the position of lock can vary, but it will be available.
- HTTPS instead of HTTP: The transfer protocol will be https, it only comes when SSL certificate is installed.
Few points about SSL
- SSL Keys: SSL Certificate works with two types of keys, one is Public Key and the other is Private Key. Together these two keys establish a secure connection between our web browser and the web server through which our private data such as credit cards, social security numbers, usernames, and passwords, etc. are transmitted securely. The SSL Certificate protects our personal information from falling into the hands of people committing Cyber Crime on the Internet.
- Secure Connection: Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a standard security technology to create a secure link between the server and the client – if simply put, the website of the website we access on the Internet and our Web Browser The SSL Certificate in between helps create a secure connection.
- HTTPS: SSL encrypts the data being transmitted between the web server and the client so that no third party can hack or read the data. Only the web server or client can recognize and read this transmit data. Whenever you visit a website, In the https that comes before the name of the website, ‘s’ represents that the website is secure. This website uses an SSL certificate to verify your authenticity.
How the SSL works?
The entire concept of SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is based on the RSA (Rivest-Shamir-Adleman) algorithm. SSL uses the algorithm which is used to encrypt and decrypt messages. Where each SSL certificate has a Public key and a Private key. The public key is used to encrypt the information and the private key is used to decrypt the information.
When your Web Browser connects to a secure domain, Server sends the Public key to the Browser to perform encryption. Thus, the public key is given to everyone, while the private key (used for decryption) is kept secret. During Secure Communication, Web Browser Encrypt the information using the Public key and send it to the server while the information is decrypted on the server-side using the Private key.
Benefits of SSL certificate
- Security: The main purpose of an SSL certificate is to encrypt the information so that it can be read and understood only by the parties concerned. The SSL certificate states that all information about your website or blog is encrypted. All information transferred over an SSL Connection is encrypted and there is no way that anyone can decrypt your information.
- Fast Website: Website running on SSL tend to be working fast than the sites not using SSL certificate.
- Google Ranking: Google gives preferences to the websites running on SSL in the ranking.
- User Confidence: Users seeing the lock sign and https with your domain are more confidence in accessing content on your website.
- SSL Helps You Satisfy PCI/DSS Requirements:
Types of SSL certificate
There are different types of SSL Certificates, which can be grouped on the basis of validation level and the number of domains/subdomains.
Validation Levels: On the basis of validation level we have three types of SSL certificates:
- Domain Validation Certificates: This is the basic level of SSL certificate available with the lowest level of validation.
- Organization Validated Certificates: The authorities validate the organization credentials before issuing the SSL Certificate.
- Extended Validated Certificates: The authorities validate the organization, with Physical interaction and verification of some documents before issuing the SSL certificate.
The number of Domains/Subdomains: On the basis of secured domains/subdomains we have three types of SSL certificates:
- Single Domain: This is for your one domain, in this subdomains are not covered. For example, if I have a single-domain SSL certificate for ingenious techies, it doesn’t mean I can use it for blog.ingenioustechies.com.
- Wildcard: Can be used for an unlimited number of subdomains. For example, if I have a wildcard SSL certificate then I can use it secure my main domain www.ingenioustechies.com, mail.ingenioustechies.com, and blog.ingenioustechies.com
- Multi-domain: It is designed to secure more than one domain with a single SSL certificate.
Cost of SSL certificate
If you are not taking any sensitive data from the user or doing any financial transaction, you can use services of Let’s Encrypt or Comodo to get a FREE SSL certificate for your website. Yes, you can get a FREE SSL certificate. But if you are doing a financial transaction or transmitting personal or sensitive data, it is good to purchase any one type of SSL certificate based on your requirement. The cost of SSL based on the type of SSL certificate. Higher the validation level higher the cost.
Where to purchase the SSL Certificate
You can purchase the SSL from below service providers
That’s it Folks on this topic. Let us know your comments on this article in the comment box below. Kindly like our facebook page, follows us on twitter and subscribe to our YouTube channel for latest updates.